My wife just gave me this hand made 30oz. Water bottle. She made it last weekend I guess. She did a great job.
I am just a simple life retired Military Man. I served 26 years in the Navy and now work for the State of Colorado. I have a passion for hunting and fishing which is a great segway into Meat Processing and Smoking. I process all of my own game and love doing so.
Best posts made by lkrfletcher
Apple smoked cinnamon sugar pecans
This is about as as easy as it gets
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1 and 1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup of sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1 pound of pecan halves
- Get a tray to smoke almonds in. I punched small hole in it to assist in a quick smoke. Preheat smoker to 100 degrees.
- Melt half the butter and pour over almonds. Stir very well
- Put in the smoker and smoke at 100 degrees for 15 minutes (the PK100 adds a lot of smoke). Do not over smoke. You just want a hint of smoke flavor
Preheat oven to 325. Add remaining butter to 2 cookie sheet pans and throw them into the preheating oven.
In a mixing bowl add the egg whites and salt. Whisk this up hard for about a minute. Add in cinnamon and sugar and mix well. Pour in almonds and mix very well. Get that thick mix in all Of the and cracks on the pecans.
Split mix into the two cookie sheets (spreading the now melted butter all around. Make sure your pecans are spread out and lay flat
- Cook for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Turn over the pecans using a spatula. Make sure to scrap the bottom of cookie sheet. Lay them out flat again.
Repeat step 7 two more times.
After the third ten minute cook. Take them out of oven. Scrape the cookie sheet with spatula. Turn them over and lie them flat again.
- Let cool for 2 hours. Then pig out
Cowboy Candy (Candied Jalepeno's)
For nine 1/2 pints
- 3lbs Jalapenos
- 2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 Cups of Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 3 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Slice 1/8" to 1/4" rings and set aside
- Bring to a boil vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, garlic and cayenne pepper.
- Reduce and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add in the pepper rings and simmer exactly 4 minutes (stir them to coat rings)
- Remove pepper rings into jars
- Bring to a boil the syrup - Boil hard for exactly 6 minutes
- Ladle over slices
- Remove air from jars
- Clean jar edges and seal
- Water bath can these for 10 minutes for half pints and 15 minutes for pints.
- Allow to mellow for 2 weeks to a month
Eat and enjoy!
I must say that the willy’s snack stick mix along with some high temp cheese is quiet a nice blend especially when hickory smoked. If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend it. Yum. !
Smoked wasabi and soy almonds
I’ve been making these for years. Whenever I find these almonds on sale I smoke a batch. Absolutely incredible. Many people don’t realize that when you smoke wasabi it lightens up the taste and turns it kind of sweet. Today I smoked 3 bags / 6 pounds.
Highly recommend giving this a try.
- Pour your almonds in a large bowl
- Melt some butter. I usually do 1/2 stick per 2 lb bag
- Pour butter over almonds. Mix well so all almonds are coated and become glossy.
- Cold smoke these for 3 hours. I like these almonds very smoky. So keep that vent necked way down.
- Pull almonds out and set outside.
- (Most important step). They have to air dry until you can mix them with a plastic spoon and it stays near dry / clean. You can’t get them completely dry because of the butter. This step can take 4-5 hours.
- After air drying. Bag them up and seal them.
- I freeze them.
They are awesome. Will taste like a sweet smoke with a very mild wasabi flavor and a hickory bite.
Latest posts made by lkrfletcher
RE: FINISHED PRODUCT - Stuffed Pork Loin
So I take them out of the sous vide. Let them cook for only about a half hour at room temp. I dry them off with a paper towel. Then into the smoker. I am not looking for a real strong smoke. But more of a mild taste. Once done. Sear them in hot griddle.
Hope this helps. There really is no right or wrong. Whatever gives you the best results. I use a pk100 which imparts a lot of smoke flavor in a short amount of time.
RE: Smoking cashews today
I got these from Costco.
For just smoking here is what you do. Pour all your cashews from container into a mixing bowl. Melt around 2-3 tablespoons of butter. I used a heart healthy butter. Pour butter over the nuts and stir well trying to wet all sides of each cashew. I put them in the Pk100 and set temp for 100. Once that smoke ended as it reached temp. I raised it to 130 and let that smoke cycle run until it cycled off at temp. I stired them twice during the cycles.
That’s it. They were really good just like that. However. You need to let them dry for approximately 4 hours. Then you are good to go.
Applewood is what I used. I think total time exposed to the smoke is around 30-40 minutes is all.
RE: New to the marinade tumbler! Hello!
@Tex_. Yeah I am pretty bummed out. I just had a few questions for them but nothing. The users I found with cracks said no dishwasher. Rather the bottom of the drum is flat and the cracks started directly in the center. Pull a vacuum on a flat surface will always go to the least supported area. In this case the center.
I really wanted to try this it sounds like a great idea.
RE: New to the marinade tumbler! Hello!
I was ready to pull the trigger on a new marinade express pro (was hoping for Black Friday) but after not hearing from their customer service department and especially after readIng several bad reviews about the machine not sealing properly after a few tries and cracks in the bottom of the chamber. well I have decided not to get one. Pretty disappointed that the company would not return my call, or email. Still not even sure it would work at all at 6000 ft.