Seasoning & Additives 103 - The Importance of Salt

• Team Orange Walton's Employee Admin

BJ Anderton Salt does have some preservation properties, but if you are making a product that is typically cured, I would still use sure cure. It helps fight, prevent, and retard growth of botulism spores and does a much better job in preserving the meat product. Many cured products don’t ever get hot enough to kill botulism, so Sure Cure plays an important role in preventing its growth. The toxins from botulism are one of the main causes of food poisoning every year, so sure cure can really help control that and make a safer product. Sure Cure can also help fight rancidity and preserve flavors as well. If you only used salt as a preservative, you would need to use a much larger quantity of salt than you would use in the average seasoning blend. Salt and nitrite in Sure Cure, used in conjunction, is the best way to preserve and cure meats.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Even I had to upvote that comment from Austin

• How much salt is in your seasoning? Maybe you can give a percentage based on volume in a package. I’m asking because I’m finding some sausages taste more salty than others.

• Lumberfish said in Seasoning & Additives 103 - The Importance of Salt:

How much salt is in your seasoning? Maybe you can give a percentage based on volume in a package. I’m asking because I’m finding some sausages taste more salty than others.

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Sous Vide Power User Cast Iron

Lumberfish There has been many discussions about the amount of salt in Excalibur Seasonings. I think the launch code for a nuclear bomb is easier to obtain.

About the only solution that I can suggest is for the seasoning blends that you find too salty is to go to the drawing board and create your own recipe.

Many suggestions were offered by the community. I, for one, feel that if I have to cut back the amount of blend to reduce the salt content and add additional spices to get the flavor I want, well I might as well just mix my own.

I’m very much in favor of Excalibur Seasonings offering salt free and stating a recommended amount of salt to add. I can only guess that by doing it the way they do, it makes it more difficult to backwards engineer the recipe ( but not impossible).

• Team Orange Power User Canning Masterbuilt

Chef I have cut a lot of salt out of my diet, so I find premix seasonings usually on the salty side, That is a good idea to cut back on how much you use (sort of a base) and then add your own spices.

• Regular Contributors

Some baseline level of salt has to be there for preservation, binding, and lastly for flavor.
    I feel pretty sure that on some seasoning packs they add salt in amounts that far exceed the preservation and binding requirements.
    Since the last one, flavor, is subjective it would be nice if they cut back on the amount of salt and then let the end user add their own salt up to the maximum amount of the original formula.
    Can always add an ingredient more easily that remove it.

• processhead That makes sense to me, having a minimum and maximum salt that could be added to some much seasoning would be great. It would cheaper to ship too since spices weight much less than salt.

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Sous Vide Power User Cast Iron

processhead It is a given that some salt is essential to sausages, and preserving meat of all types. Lumberfish Your observation that minimum levels could be either added or recommended is exactly what I think. Salt is likely one of the larger volume component of many of the spice blends. If everything was sold without salt with instructions of a recommended minimum salt to add, the packaging should be smaller and thus less expensive. But again, I believe they don’t want to do that because of backward engineering, i.e. trying to prevent people from duplicating the recipe.

Another solution is that Many seasonings are not too solvable in COLD water, at lease if rinsed rapidly. One could take the blend and shake it in cold water and then filer. Most of the salt would dissolve and the balance mainly being seasonings. Not exactly great science, but would at lease approximate it. Could evaporate the rinse water and get an approximate level of salt.

Still, with all that, I would love to see Excalibur offer salt free blends, allowing the consumer to control the salt level.

• Team Orange Power User Canning Masterbuilt

Chef I agree that would be really great for people trying to cut back on salt.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.