A sausage stuffer tip

• Team Blue

Maybe this has already been suggested but I’ll add my 2 cents anyways. I was making a 5 lb batch of snack sticks yesterday with my 11 lb Walton’s stuffer and you know how it always leaves about 3/4 lb of your ground and mixed meat in the throat? Usually I just make some hand formed sausages or use it to add to a batch of scrambled eggs but this time I made a strong jalapeno based blend with ghost pepper cheese and didn’t think the wife would like it. So, when the stuffer was done stuffing the casings I was trying to think of something to get the rest of the meat out of the throat and I saw my lemon tree was loaded so I put a lemon over the top of the throat and ran the plunger down-worked like a champ! The lemon fit inside the throat and gave me another 6" of snack stick. All that was left was a small handfull of meat that I made a patty out of. Next time I’ll put a second lemon in there when the first is all the way in. I tried some old hamburger buns the last time I made sticks but they just flattened out and didn’t get the meat out. Lemons are the perfect size! Hope this helps! R!

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

Randyman
    Interesting!

• Sous Vide Canning PK100 Team Blue Power User Regular Contributors

Nice job.

• Regular Contributors

The fringen 5 deg weather we got ( a hundred plus year record tied, it killed 3 of my citrus trees one of my lemon tree that was making nice is dead meat.[censored]
    Guess I’ll just have to replant. Not suppose to get that cold here. SE TX

• Regular Contributors

I always wondered what to use to clear out the stuffer throat. Now I know!

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors

Randyman im not quite understanding, i still get a 1/2" of meat on the entire bottom of my stuffer, not just in the throat. I have put 3 washers on the shaft to piston to help get more out but still not perfect. Its a poor design.

• Team Blue

Don’t know why your stuffer leaves a 1/2 at the bottom of the cylinder-mine mashes it out clear to the bottom to where I can see the beginning of the throat. You might want to put a couple of washers between the plate with the gasket and the shaft. I haven’t checked mine to see if there’s a way to reindex the shaft so it has more throw at the bottom. With my plunger all the way down I have 5/8" of the shaft protruding above the very top of the stuffer. R!

Randyman what brand and model you got? Im needing a new one anyways, the very end is stripped as i always bottom it out trying to get it all out

• Team Blue

It’s the Walton’s 11 lb. A bit bigger than what I really need but it’s built like a tank. The instructions that come with it leave a lot of room for improvement though. Translated by someone and not done very well. Throw them out and watch the Walton’s video about how to maintain their stuffer. I can do the 16mm snack sticks by myself-just don’t let go of the handle with pressure on it. You’ll do it but only once!

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

a laze Susan is a great thing to use when working by your self to run the meat onto

• twilliams I have an 11 lb. stuffer that works great (mashes all the meat out, except the throat), I’d like to sell it and upgrade to a much larger stuffer… Care to become the new owner of mine?

McCrackin sorry, i want atleast a 15lb. I make alot of 12.5 lb batches and dont want to stop and restuff for 1.5lbs.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Randyman Nice ingenuity there man! twilliams can you explain the 3 washer system more?

Would people be interested in some sort of competition on things like this? Like, once a month we pick a problem that is common to meat processing and create a thread for that, then we let everyone post how they deal with it and the winner gets…something?

I am fairly sure I can’t be talked out of this, it sounds like it could be a ton of fun and a good way to share hacks with eachother.

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon said in A sausage stuffer tip:

Randyman Nice ingenuity there man! twilliams can you explain the 3 washer system more?

Would people be interested in some sort of competition on things like this? Like, once a month we pick a problem that is common to meat processing and create a thread for that, then we let everyone post how they deal with it and the winner gets…something?

I am fairly sure I can’t be talked out of this, it sounds like it could be a ton of fun and a good way to share hacks with eachother.

I would support that. I think there are two challenges to processing meat, the ingredient/process side and hardware/equipment side. Both can present challenges that prevent you from a successful outcome and people generally appreciate input that helps them get there.
    Personally, I enjoy the troubleshooting aspect of equipment and hardware and spent most of my working career doing that in various technical fields.

• Regular Contributors

Randyman said in A sausage stuffer tip:

Don’t know why your stuffer leaves a 1/2 at the bottom of the cylinder-mine mashes it out clear to the bottom to where I can see the beginning of the throat. You might want to put a couple of washers between the plate with the gasket and the shaft. I haven’t checked mine to see if there’s a way to reindex the shaft so it has more throw at the bottom. With my plunger all the way down I have 5/8" of the shaft protruding above the very top of the stuffer. R!

If its assembled properly, the piston/disk should have free travel to the bottom of the cylinder, (bottoming out).
    If its not doing that, I would suspect an assembly error first and possibly a component problem as a distant second.
    Using washers as shims may work, but is probably not addressing the root problem.

Jonathon i just add 3 washers on the bottom of the shaft, which in sense is on top of the plunger. In all reality giving it very close to 3/8" extra push in my canister. With this method i still end up with 1 lb of meat left over that i can not get out compared to 1.5 lbs without the washers. I have to dig it all out and put in my big jerky gun and stuff a summer casing full. So i am very intrigued on how people reporting that Waltons brand only leaves meat in the throat only. Only thing is i would prefer to have a 15lb unit with the same diameter as the 11lb so there is no refilling unless doing a 25lb batch.

So i really wish i had access and tooling to make my own stuffer. I know how i would design it, just dont have the resources.

My other issues with current stuffer, is poor design of plunger and my shaft does not have enough teeth for downward travel. Its a Cabelas brand. (Purchased way before i knew about Waltons)

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

Jonathon I think it is a great idea. It already pretty much happens naturally on this site, but would create a little bit of an incentive. As my Marine brother says, improvise, adapt and overcome. We got that from our parents😁

Jonathon sounds like it could be useful, one thing i would be concerned of is how far it would venture off the initial problem or issue. With anything there is many ways to achieve an end result. When you get many people saying their preferred way it could create even more confusion for a beginner with little understanding of equipment and process.

• Regular Contributors

twilliams said in A sausage stuffer tip:

Jonathon sounds like it could be useful, one thing i would be concerned of is how far it would venture off the initial problem or issue. With anything there is many ways to achieve an end result. When you get many people saying their preferred way it could create even more confusion for a beginner with little understanding of equipment and process.

I won’t deny that could happen. Someone who is stumped by a problem usually appreciates any advice, though.
    It is good to recognize that recommendations stay on topic. Nobody wants to send a beginner with a problem down any rabbit holes.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

twilliams Fair point, not sure how we are going to go about making sure things stay on point but we can make adjustments as we go!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size