Turkey Deli Meat Whole Muscle

• Team Orange

I used the search feature looking for the answer but didnt find much.

Does any one brine/smoke/slice whole turkey breasts for sandwich deli meat? I’ve seen the meatgistics video about restructured deli meats but Im looking for something a little more simple. I was thinking simple 3%salt/2%sugar dry brine, smoke it to temp and slice it against the grain for sandwiches. I fear this may make the meat incredibly dry? How bout a suitable IT to take the meat to? 165?

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

deanlorensen Yeah, that would be my thought as well. I’d think you’d want to add some phosphates and overpump it with water a little to mitigate that. Whatever solution you come up with I’d either make sure it has phosphates or add some. One note is that adding phosphates increases the pH of the meat which will shorten its shelf life a little.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size