Prime rib

• Team Blue Regular Contributors

Anyone got a good prime rib recipe? Never done one before so any tips would be great(smoking, injecting, brining, seasoning etc) thanks

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning

Any idea how you want to cook it? Smoke it, sous vide, or in the oven?
    As for seasoning, i would dry brine it, ie sprinkle it liberally with kosher salt the day before you want cook it. Then apply a nice rub to it, that doesn’t contain salt. Google, Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow Crust on Amazing Ribs, its a great seasoning for prime rib. Alternatively just go with pepper, garlic, oregano, and rosemary.

The key to cooking it is to get it the same doneness across the whole roast, which is super easy if you sous vide. If you are going to smoke it or use an oven I’d shoot for cooking at about 275-300 just until you have it to your desired doneness, which I’d shoot for about 120 if you like things on the rarer side. Once you hit your temp, pull the meat out and crank up the temp to 400-450 and put the meat back on for about 20 minutes or so to get a good crust. Having a good temp probe is on the keys to sucess, you can’t go by time on something like this.

If you want to inject I’d go with Pa’s Black Bull. Walton’s also has a nice Prime Rib rub, or their Ultimate Steak and Roast rub, if you don’t want to dry brine.

Tex_77 guess I was planning on smoking then once it’s done put a crust on it…just didn’t know if anyone had any advice as far as rubbing vs injection which is preferred since I’ve never done one…Can you brine it? I brine turkeys all the time guess I could google it too

blackbetty61 I would not do a wet brine, I’ve never heard or seen anyone do that. Do a dry salt brine, or inject if you want. There’s plenty of moisture in a prime rib, so I usually don’t inject.

• What Tex_77 told you is spot on. I normally set temp at 250 whether smoking or by oven. Get yourself a good thermometer. Definitely pull at 120 and set oven very high to sear, and pull it out and loosely wrap with foil. Let rest at least 20 minutes. Remember temp will rise at least another 5 deg searing and 5 deg resting. Usually finished temp is 128-131 for medium rare. No need to inject prime rib. I always put a rub on 2 days prior to cooking it.

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User

blackbetty61 I do many between Christmas and New Years. Sometimes simple is best. First, let it come to room temperature. I trim off a lot of the fat and silver-skin and coat it with an oil. Crust it heavily with course black pepper, kosher salt and granulated garlic.

I use a 70% red oak and 30% pecan wood blend. I put that into my smoker/pit, having preheating it to 450’F for about 15 minutes, then dial it down to about 275, opening the doors so it cools down quick. I always run a temperature probe in them, and cook to about 120 - 125. Remove from the pit and cover. Final temperature should reach about 132 to 134’F which is a good medium rare.

Probably have cooked several hundred like this and people always order more each year.

Chef I agree def. need to trim the fat down, I’d also just disgard the bones if it came with them kr use them for something else.

• Team Orange PK100 Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Regular Contributors

I love a smoked standing rib roast. I do mine very much like Chef does. There is no reason at all to brine or inject such a lovely cut.

I trim off any silver skin a can find, but I leave all the fat (I love the fat). I rub the whole thing down with a little bit of oil–just enough to give it a sheen. You don’t want it dripping. I rub with kosher salt, coarsely ground black pepper, a little garlic powder (or granulated garlic, but I don’t usually have that around), maybe a little onion powder, and some herb (usually rosemary and/or thyme). I use as much salt as I would use when salting a steak, often go pretty heavy with the herb(s), but pretty light with everything else. Sometimes, I’ll make a paste with everything, using just enough oil to hold it all together and adding a little bit of good quality mustard. That mustard can really make it sing, as well as helping develop a nice crust. Yet another alternative (especially when I make that paste) is to use finely minced fresh garlic instead of the garlic powder.

If it’s a standing rib roast (which is my strong preference), I often will remove the bones from the roast (without separating the bones from each other), rub the goodies all around the separated roast, and then tie the bones back on for roasting. That both gets the rub all around the roast and makes things a little bit easier on the back end.

I cook mine at my normal pit temperature (225-250F) to an internal temperature of 120-122F. For wood, I also go primarily with oak (usually red oak), mixing in some pecan and a little bit of mesquite.

Remove, cover loosely with foil, and let it rest completely (even as much as an hour). Once it’s rested completely cooled a bit, I pop it in a screaming hot oven (mine gets up to 555F) to really get that crust done. It usually takes around 10 minutes, but I never go far from the oven. Sometimes I’ll use the broiler (especially if I forget to preheat the oven). The broiler actually makes for a better crust, but not all over (it’s not as even), and there’s a greater riskof taking it too far.

Now, I need to address a pet peeve. While I often see folks refer to any rib roast as “prime rib,” it isn’t really “prime rib” unless you’re working with USDA prime. Otherwise, it’s a “standing rib roast” if it’s on the bone or a “rib eye roast” if it’s off the bone. It’s not prime rib if it’s not prime–it’s just disingenuous marketing.

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User

TexLaw You are so correct about the Prime Rib USDA grading. I didn’t state that in my posting, but I always use USDA PRIME for my prime rib. About the only difference is I never smoke with mesquite. While great for grilling, I find that the smoking using it turns a bit bitter.

Sounds like great minds think alike!

Chef It’s all a matter of taste. I love using mesquite, but just a little and only with beef or sausage. It’s potent stuff. It also has to be very well seasoned wood, and you have to have a clean fire. Mess any of that up, and it can get acrid rather quickly.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that anyone has to like it, even then. It could be that I just like a touch of bitter.

TexLaw You are exactly right. Well seasoned, hot and clean burn and mesquite can be good. It’s not just a wood that can be used without knowing how to use it properly.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

blackbetty61 (bam ba lam!) Been a while since I have seen you post, welcome back if you’ve been doing other things or welcome back to posting if you have been lurking, or tell me if I am just an idiot and haven’t been noticing? Tex_77 already called it but I am VERY much a fan of the Pa’s Black Bull Soluble for Prime Rib. I also like the marinade but for a Prime Rib (or standing Rib ((thanks TexLaw and Chef)) I like injecting more. It is a thick cut and you will struggle to get the seasoning all the way into the center.

Jonathon Probably a taste preference, but with real USDA Prime roast, I like the natural flavor of the prime rib. With a good Au Jus and just a bit of a great horseradish sauce, the prime rib flavor just pops out.

Chef I have a cater friend who actually perfers to cook choice ribeye roasts, as he feels there is less waster, and his clients don’t want to bite into a huge piece of fat. I think he goes as far as removing the spinalis and trimming that layer of fat out, and putting it back on with meat glue.

Jonathon, I’m with Chef with regard to a true USDA Prime. I’m not worried about getting the flavor of the outside to the inside. What I rub around the outside is more condiment than ingredient. I’m the same way with a Choice rib roast, too. I wouldn’t think of marinating a good rib eye to the point that I changed it all the way through, either.

Now, for something much more bland, sure.

Tex_77 Be sure to tell your friend not to dare messing with my rib roast like that. I love that fat!

Jonathon no you’re not an idiot just took a break and summer is usually busy on the farm…haven’t been doing much smoking lately…but hopefully that’s gonna change…glad to be back. Planning on making prime rib for the in-laws for a early Christmas next month what better guinea pigs than the in-laws 😂😂

• Team Blue

Tex_77 When I cooked my first whole rib roast I was terrified. Screw up and it will cost your dollars and disappointment…I feel bad anytime I mess up good. Lol. I went with an Alton brown method on that occasion and it worked out better than expected…he’s spot on with any recipe I’ve tried.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Joe Hell Eventually when we do the Meatgistics Meet Up we have to figure out a skills competition or something like that. Probably 2022 at this rate!

Jonathon sharpen you knifes sir, its game on!

Joe Hell for as goofy as Alton can be, he pretty much has it down to a science.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

38 users active right now (0 members and 38 guests).
Bob Venemon, cj3255, gChart, Big-Jim64

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 24.9k posts in 2.6k topics.
We currently have 11.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Bob Venemon.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.