Rabbit

• I raise rabbits for consumption. My customers are wanting ground products instead of just whole rabbits. Im looking for seasoning opinions and process to making bratwurst and breakfast sausage. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

• i made some rabbit polish sausage mixed 50/50 turned out fine tasted exe.

• Dry Cured Sausage

I have had success with rabbits I have raised and processed into sausage the past. Basically to give you the short story I have found the following:

-Use pork fat back in with your rabbit meat. At least 20% because the rabbit meat is super lean. Bacon works ok too, but not nearly as well as fatback. Bacon is more of a seasoning than a fat.

-Almost any bratwurst seasoning is good, but if you really like the flavor of rabbit meat use a light seasoning. Avoid the very heavy seasonings like strong garlic, paprika, and cayenne. Not saying they can’t be used, just use them in moderation because they mask the flavor of the meat. Also very heavy smokes like mesquite should either be avoided all together, or used very lightly because they mask the flavor as well.

I would love to try another batch but knowing what I know now I would probably add a bit of carrot fiber for fresh sausage or sur gel for cured to help the moisture content and to bind.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

• I mix mine 60-40 rabbit/pork and it comes out really nice with a basic maple breakfast sausage recipe I found someplace online. I also make a simple country sausage recipe that a friend of mine passed along. I can post them up if you want. I haven’t used a binder.

• My problem is finding rabbit. I finally found a meat market that carried rabbit but when I got it home it was from China. I did not use it I put it out for the critters.

• Team Orange PK100 Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Regular Contributors

I always think that rabbit is as lean as white meat chicken but almost worth the flavor of dark meat chicken. You could probably go with about any recipe that uses chicken thighs (adding in fat as advised above) and be at least very close to where you want to be.

• Team Blue

DB1938 That reminds me of the time I got a load of Crawdads that I understood were straight from the marshes of Louisiana. Then I got home & saw a tag that was provided & it had Taiwan on it or something like that. Amazing.

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User

calldoctoday So much for truth in advertising! Sad thing is that a company in Louisiana can buy from a foreign country and truthfully say that it is coming from Louisiana. Got to be careful now days with wording.

• DB1938 were are you located. I know rabbit producers all over the US?

• @Robert-Humston it would be awesome if you could post the recipes

• a2zwildlife I am in central Ohio. I have been cooking for over 60 years. I do not use it haven’t yet used rabbit in sausage. I was the family butcher until I got old. My interest now is international cuisine. Rabbit is a staple in France, Germany, Spain, and northern Italy. In our family fried rabbit or rabbit pot pie was the favorite.

• a2zwildlife here they are. I use wild rabbits, my buddy has some good dogs.

Maple breakfast sausage recipe from the “Chunky Chef” website, here for 2 pounds but I scale up as needed:
    For 2 pounds sausage, 60/40 mix rabbit meat and fatty pork.
    o 1/4 cup maple syrup (use the darkest REAL maple syrup you can find)
    o 3 cloves garlic, minced
    o 1 Tbsp fresh sage chopped
    o 3/4 tsp dried thyme (or 1 Tbsp fresh thyme - chopped)
    o 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    o 3/4 tsp black pepper
    o 1/4 tsp paprika

Mix and stuff into 24-26 mm sheep casings.

And here’s the country sausage recipe, made up by a dude who taught a class on sausage making and inspired by Rytek Kutas’ recipe. According to my notes I actually used an 80/20 mix of rabbit/pork for this one, so its good even when pretty lean. This is the recipe for 5 pounds:

• 2 Tbs kosher salt
    • 2 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
    • 2 Tbs sage (I used rubbed sage)
    • 2 tsp thyme
    • 1 tsp sugar
    • 1/2 tsp coriander
    • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    • 1 Tbs crushed red pepper

You probably already know to do this but I mix the seasonings up with 1 cup of water for every 5 pounds of meat.

I cook these up in a little butter in a skillet. Everyone so far has really enjoyed them, and though my kids were raised on game meat my family has been a little standoffish about rabbit. But these tend to disappear when I cook them. Highly recommend both recipes.

• Roe Bear used to use wild out now mid 80’s and need cane to walk, the hunting scene has gone away.

• DB1938 Hope you find a good supplier and can revisit those old recipes. I hear more people are raising rabbits for personal consumption these days, maybe it’ll show up in the local farmers market.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

53 users active right now (4 members and 49 guests).
PapaSop, Brent Brothers, Zupe, bvandeveire, NYbowhunter, lkrfletcher, The Feedlot, Blippo, Austin, twilliams, Meatman65

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 24.8k posts in 2.6k topics.
We currently have 11.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Cboike.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.