Tender roast beef and roast pork?

• Regular Contributors

gmarsalek

I reserve eye round for beef jerky. For pit beef I use either Tri Tip, or Sirloin Tip roast. I pull around 117F. There is a good 10F carry over with a large roast.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

mikemikemike I agree that eye of round is pretty perfect for whole muscle jerky. I recently discovered that intramuscular fatty cuts seem to work really well for the “tender” jerky, I am just trying to find out some information/documentation on what (if anything) the extra sugar is doing to the fat to keep it from spoiling. If I can prove that it is doing that I am going to do a ton of stuff with fatty meats and jerky!

• Canning Sous Vide Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Regular Contributors

A few years ago I created a recipe for lean ground jerky that included Sure Gel to get a product people regularly mistake for tender full muscle.
    It’s still my favorite
    On fatty jerky: friends give me meat to make jerky for them and many times they give me pre-ground or well marbled cuts
    In my opinion this makes better tasting jerky, however you must deal with oily fingers and a less appealing appearance in the vac-pack
    Also I caution them once they open the vac-pack it should be consumed or stored in the refrigerator because the fat dramatically shortens the shelf life

• Regular Contributors

mikemikemike try bottom round for 24-36 hours. Then fridge it for 4 hours before slicing. I just perfected an Italian beef recipe that my chicago inlaws are loving.

• Regular Contributors

pr0wlunwoof

I may take another crack at Bottom and Top round with the use of sodium phosphate since it is something new to me. But i have done both top and bottom round sous vide and even at med rare temps for 24+ hours the end result was dry, especially after sliced paper thin on the Hobart, and dipped into the hot au jus. I think those Chicago italian beef places lie when they say they dip into 185F au jus. It almost instantly turns the meat into wel done and suprisingly dry with cuts like top and bottom round.

• Regular Contributors

mikemikemike

Yeah in my recipe I cook at 134 for 24-36 hours fridge or ice bath to bring to slicing temp and return them to 145F in Au Jus an no more. If your dunking in 185F the meat would need to be fridge temp and it would need to be fast as to bring it to edible 140+. Leaving anything at 185 for any amount of time would be bad.

I haven’t gotten as far sodium phosphate either. I don’t think it would do much in the sous vide temps of 134 though. Heat is pressure and at that low of pressure the meat shouldn’t loose much moisture. The extended time is for the breaking down of the collagen similar to smoking a brisket at 225 for 15 hours. You can break collagen down at higher temps faster but you sacrifice moisture, that is where things like sodium phosphate offer moisture retention.

I’ve been sous viding for a couple years and building BBQ smokers for a while longer than that. Everything I have learned comes back to technique and quality of product. You can make some amazing things from poor quality, but it takes some real technique. Start with good quality and your technique can waver a good bit and still end up in the fairway. Sous vide allows for some amazing things from the cheapest cuts you can find, but it takes some practice and writing things down to get a constant repeatable process that yields something that reminds people of Chicago while sitting in Georgia.

• Yeah, I would recommend going up to 24 hours at 134°F in a sous vide container for a rare tender roast. Spices and herbs I love to add: Thyme, Paprika, Cayenne, Pepper, Oregano, Mustard, Garlic, Parsely, Cajun spices, Fajita spices. The roast is then seared in a hot cast-iron pan for 1 minute on each side to get a nice caramelized crust.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Tex_77 Do you mind sharing your recipe for the 8-16, specifically for the sauce, we know you used Pa’s and Butter Garlic Rub

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning

Jonathon If by sauce, you mean gravy, it was the drippings from the sous vide bag, flour and or corn starch, salt and pepper and probably some added water.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

14 users active right now (0 members and 14 guests).
jdbatzer

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 23.5k posts in 2.5k topics.
We currently have 11.0k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jdbatzer.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.