Fat out issue at 115 F

• Anyone ever have issues with fat out at temps lower than the normal (160 F). Got a heritage breed sow from a farm - not store bought pork shoulder like we normally use - and everything we have made that was cured / smoked has had fat out at very low temps. Never had this issue with anything we have made before. Any ideas?

• Do you know what breed the hog was? Some breeds are known as lard breeds. They are bred more for the use of the lard rather then the meat. While processing these types of hogs, their fat is extremely greasy even in cool temps and does even begin to render at room temperature. I haven’t personally cured or tried to smoke any meat from lard hogs, but would not be surprised if this was your issue. Try and find out the breed and do a little research on it.

• Deepwoodsbutcher thanks for the reply. I checked and one was a Tamworth and the other was a Wattle.

• Team Blue

FireHorse When you get that type of product, the only way is to cold smoke. That’s the only way I know is another guy in the business receives those after a talk. He also said that sausages from that batch really work out well in casserole type dinners (example: kraut, jambalya, etc) because of the fat out issue.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

FireHorse Lets ask Departing Contestant if he has any ideas on what could be done? My initial thought was that it was a breed thing but maybe there is something to be done that would change this. If there is, I am guessing he will know!

• Regular Contributors

My only knowledge of Heritage Pork is that they are well marbled and have more fat. Most of the hogs I am familiar with are Yorkshire and a few odd Durocs.
    I can only repeat what I am told. If there is that much more fat in the heritage my thoughts are that you either need to trim the surface fat more, add more salt to bind, and mix longer. Deepwoodsbutcher has a good point. I remember Grandma talking about “Lard Hogs” they got for rendering and “good grease in the pan after frying sausage for frying bread and biscuits”.

• Thanks. We butchered ourselves and i can say that the meat had a greasy feel to it. Never felt that with store bought pork shoulders for sure. We haven’t had any issues with fresh sausage recipes using this pork - they

• Sorry hit button too soon - . . . They all turned out well. Anything we smoked or had to finish out (marianski’s recipe for mortadella di bologna for example) just oozed grease and finished products were less than desirable. Packaged them up for use in stews etc. as taste was good but . . . I wont use for snack sticks or summer sausage for sure. Thanks for feedback everyone.

• zbigjeff appreciate the response. We opted to do just that with our andouille recipe. The first round we finished it out and we had fat out as explained. This time we opted to just cold smoke for a couple of hours and package up and finish these on the grill when we decide to eat them. They wept grease so much the smoke had a hard time sticking. However, they were much better that way just finishing them on the grill to eat. It will be interesting to see what happens to the pork bellies when we attempt bacon in a couple of weeks.

• FireHorse were you able to hang and cool them before you processed them? Just wondering if that may have had anything to do with the issue.

• Yes we hung and cooled them but maybe not enough. Thanks for raising that. Definitely will keep that in mind if we ever do this again.

• Team Blue

FireHorse Workarounds are the ticket and it looks like you kinda found that sweet spot. Here’s hoping your bacon experiment is successful.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

20 users active right now (0 members and 20 guests).
Joe1

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 23.8k posts in 2.5k topics.
We currently have 11.1k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, tluecke.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.